Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday

One of the most best or shall I say special services held in My church will be Palm Sunday. Palm Sunday is the festival celebrated by Christian one week before Easter commemorating that Jesus Christ cam to Jerusalem in a donkey and the people there welcomed him with palm leaves and with their clothes. My church celebrates special services much more special than other churches in Malaysia.

What do I mean by special??

Since I was a kid and since my parents were kids before, the tradition of going on a procession throught Buntong (around my church area) for about 1 km during Palm Sunday was a custom. We use to do that every year during Palm Sunday. We gather at church at about 7.30am and leave our church compound at about 7.45am. It is such a significant thing to do where I think none of the churches in Malaysia does it this way. One day earlier ( Saturday night) is where the Sunday School teachers and some church members gather to weave the cross. For your information, we weave cross form palm leaf. Its really something great. Yesterday (Saturday) about 40 people came to weave the cross. We managed to weave 1311 cross. About 200 of the crosses were given to our church outreach ministries.

Today(Sunday) about 416 of our church members took part in the procession. It was really cool. When we walk, we sing songs and the people in the neighbourhood looks at us and we give them the cross that we weaved earlier and the continue walking and singing although the sun is shining straight up our heads.

Usually there will be two people leading the procession carrying a big palm branch(i guess) each, then followed by my church pastors, the church choir, then Sunday School children and the the church members.

I really hope so that this tradition will never end as it is really great and I hope that other churches too have procession like this. There are some photos that I took along the way for those of you who might not just get the picture of what I am blogging about.
We begined with a prayer by Rev. Laurence
During the procession
Refreshments after the procession

No comments: